30 May 2005

Books i have finished last week

I have not been posting recently even though it is the holidays. I have promised myself that I will catch on my readings. So here is some review on the books that I have read in the last few weeks.

The New Spring by Robert Jordan

Quite boring. The whole book is like a prologue. It just fleets from one character to the next, with only 2-3 chapters focusing on each character. So there is no substantial development of the plot. As usual, most Wheel of Time fans will complain that Jordan has lost the plot. But I really hope that he get his act together and finish the series in the next few books. Seriously, it is already in book 10 and there is no end in sight.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

This is similar to Da Vinci's Code, or rather Da Vinci's Code is similar to this book. Similar plot devices, plot twists, and even the characters are the same. Could be a good thing if you liked Da Vinci's Code but you can sort of guess the 'bad' guy of the story. The interesting thing about Brown is how he uses history to create fiction.

Brand Sense by Martin Lindstrom

Interesting thesis about how brands should utilise the five senses to capture customers. A lot of fascinating case studies, especially on Singapore Airlines, Apple, Disney and other Brands. (Aside: did you know that Kelloggs have patented the *crunch* sound of their cereal!) But you can gather all this information from the first few chapters of the book. The rest of it (I feel) is filler.

Why Globalisation Works? by Martin Wolf

I have been eager to read this book for some time. The Economist (My preferred magazine) have been raving about this book so I decided to I have to read this. I am cutrrently in the first few chapters of the book and I have to say, it really is a fantastic book on economic globalisation. I am a believer in the benefits of International Trade and further economic integration (no surprise there since my economics education based on a classical liberal perspective). Wolf is really a true-blue liberal and he presents his arguments in a clear and structured way.

One interesting quote he has is about the neo- type of people. It is by Mario Vagos Llosa: basically he says that there is no such thing as a neo-*. "Neo" just connotes someone who is half inside and outside of something.
"To say 'neoliberal' is the same as saying 'semiliberal' or 'pseudoliberal'. it is pure nonsense. Either one is in favour of liberty or against it, but one cannot be semi-infavour or psuedo-in-favour of liberty, just as one cannot be 'semipregnant', 'semiliving
, or 'semidead'." Hilarious!!

**more updates when I finish the book.

No comments: