5 January 2005

Tsunami

The funny thing was that when it happened, I was completely oblivious. I remember waking up early to go have breakfast with the indian (Ceylonese) and the Malay (Chinese). Then spent the whole day in town. It was only when i watched the evening news that I realise that a disaster happened in the region.

So it happended. Great ...

Now, there is a tsunami of media coverage. Endless news articles about the celebrity who are contributing to the aid relief; the people that were/are missing; the death toll ... It gets a bit too much that I start to switch off and gloss over everytime I encounter a Tsunami-related article.

Also, why does the local media choose to dumb down their coverage by naming the disaster a "Tidal Wave" instead of the more technical term "Tsunami"? As everyone knows, tidal wave is the incorrect term for tsunami.

Haha ... just realise that by writing about the Tsunami, I am contributing to the articles that are discussing about the tsunami. I will stop now!

1 comment:

spie_dee said...

donations donations donations...if i was asked whether the whole natural disaster was juz another hyperbolic reaction towards the tsunami then i might juz disagree...but then again there are so many 'charity' organizations donating for the countries hit by the tsunami...would you donate?