9 December 2004

Confusion

What should I do? I am thinking of changing my course from International Studies to Political Science. The present course that I am doing is a Masters by Coursework while the pol sci is a Research degree.

Differences:
1. Graduation Requirement
IS: to graduate, you need to complete 10 modules.
PS: to graduate, you need to complete 4 modules and a thesis of 30,000 words (yes that sounds like a lot)

2. Opportunities
In order to apply for future postgraduate degrees (i.e. phD), a research degree would be looked upon more favourable than the coursework degree. This is because the university woudl judge that you are capable of doing independent research and the Masters thesis is evidence.
However, I think employees would have no particular preference.

3. Departmental
International Studies is a program in the university, which means that there is no fancy office and the staff is miserable (in fact, there is only one full-time staff). Also, as it is a cross-disciplinary degree, there is no permanent lecturers for the program. On the other hand, Political Science is an established department and hence, the fancy office, large admin and academic staff.

4. Modular
It seems that the number of modules / subjects that I will be taking will be heavily weighted towards the international politics elements of my IS degree. Since this is so, why not take the research degree in Political Science instead.
Also, I have enjoyed the one IR subject that I took in this semester and am interested in exploring more. Besides, I got A's for the essays I wrote for that subject, which is a big boost to my ego .. haha

Anyway, it seems like I am leaning towards the Political Science Research Masters. I need an objective opinion.

Help!!

PS: one more thing - by taking the reseqarch degree, I stand a chance of securing a research scholarship which will pay me $1,500 per month and waive my school fees. (kerching ... kerching!!!)

1 comment:

Paul said...

i say! go for the research one. prospect-wise, money-wise, and i think u'll learn much more also. heh.. but weigh the workload and distribution tho. hah.that's the main thing here.